Sunday, September 4, 2011

Every Moment

"Every moment of your life, you’re writing. Even in your dreams, you’re writing."
Frank McCort in Teacher Man

I sometimes feel as if there were two of me: one living life and the other observing me living life. It’s what being an observer, a recorder of life demands and delivers: seeing your world and you in it. That’s the writing life. Everything that happens to you or around you is something you can (and probably will) use in telling your version of the story of living. I realize, often in the middle of something I’m doing, that I’m also collecting, storing, synthesizing the life I am living. Sometimes it is hard to separate myself from myself, but even then I know it is happening: I’m seeing me living, and figuring out how I can tell that story, or use what I see to tell another story. There is, certainly, a disconnect between the living me and the observing me. They come together when I tell a story. Sometimes I can write the ending even before I know the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. Don't think only writers do that. The fun, I think, is when the ending we 'write' for ourselves is so very different from the ending that happens in real time. :-) Loving your blog! Beth

    ReplyDelete