Sunday, November 24, 2013

Dreams

When I grow up I want to be someone who has dreams. “Has,” not “Had.” I don’t want to be one of those people who looks sadly to the rear and says, “Once I thought I’d like to - - - ,” and never did.

I often say that I’m still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. It isn’t because I don’t think I am grown up. I’m plenty old enough to know I am about as old as I have any right to expect. What I do mean is that I’m still learning, still trying new things, still believing that tomorrow can be better than yesterday, and that the best is yet to come.

When you have lived long enough to leave a legacy, some might think that’s enough. I don’t. There are things to do out there, things I’ve not tried yet, or had the opportunity to experience yet, or even know about, yet. At the same time, I don’t feel that I have to be in a hurry, need to rush into something because time is running out. Oh, there are days when I do think about that, because I’m a reasonable and responsible adult, and I know there has to be some plan for the future, some means of assuring that as long as I am, I will also be. Is that too Zen-like? Life is reality-based. Dreams are a part of that reality because they are what keep us getting up in the morning, what make us push to explore and learn.

I want to be ready when the opportunity to live a dream comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment